Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Backup Questions, I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharkol1

MIS
Mar 4, 2003
US
Hi all-
I am fairly new to large scale data backup. I have 2TB of data on a total of 6 NAS systems and a DC/exchange server and another public storage server(Both servers total ~25GB). To handle the data I have an Overland 19 AIT2 tape dual drive library and a standalone AIT2 drive. This is my plan using BE 9.0
1 - Backup using GFS rotation the servers on standalone drive.
2 - Backup 2 NAS a night until managment gives me more resources to purchase a system that can move more data in smaller window of time.

Here are my problems.
On the server rotation it seems random that at times one of the servers can't mount a drive. The server at hand is running only ISA server and is a DC.

On the NAS backups I am confused about the best way to backup the data. I have read the Veritas book 3 times and still can't figure this out. If I put 19 tapes in the drive and run an inventory on the library veritas shows that there is <blank media> in the slots. Then I pooled the two internal drives together. I made one job that included the data off NAS1, I did the same for NAS2. Then I created a media set for each NAS. So the NAS1 job points to Overland drive pool/NAS1 Media and NAS2 Job points to Overland drive pool/NAS2 Media and so on. When I test the jobs I get a failed event saying there is no media. Ok so I named each tape and manually added it to the media sets. Ran the test and it works but doesn't figure compression, making this feature useless to me. So I just run the jobs at the same time figuring drive one will start job one and drive two job two. Drive one grabs a tape and starts, job two starts soon after. Now how the hell do I know what data is on what media? It just picked random tapes in the library. I must be missing something here. Should I partition the library to 3 slots per NAS for each of the six NAS???? Please help, I don't want to spend 300 dollars on the veritas training CD.

Thanks,
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back