Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sim Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouloubj

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2004
US
I have heard a few people have gotten sims to configure a switch instead of a router. I was wondering if anyone has run into this and what they had to do with the switch?

Thanks.

Sims are a supplement to the hardware, not a replacement (yet). The newest sims from Boson are really pushing the limits of what sims can do. The newest which is not released yet has a sniffer so you can not only sim the network but examine packets. I dont know when they will release this feature.

Most guys use bothg sims and hardware. The sims are great for travel or working at Starbucks :) Also when the baby is asleep and you will catch heck for waking it up from the better half. Cisco hardware is not known for being "stealthy"

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

MikeS,
I think that kouloubj is asking if the CCNA exam has a switch sim on it and if so what does Cisco have you do to the switch in that sim!

I have only seen routing questions on the CCNA sims, but I have heard on forums that Cisco has a switch sim question.

If you know the content from the Cisco Press books and Sybex books it should not matter what sim you get.

Look at the CCNA objectives and be ready to meet those objectives. If Cisco does have a switch sim on the CCNA it is going to be pretty basic stuff.

Just my $.02

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

The boson comes with switches.. and routers. The newest CCNA covers switching much more then the older tests and the Boson sim covers that aspect pretty well.

Switches included in the CCNA version

The CCNP version has a 3550.

What to do with a switch? VLANs, trunking, basic management

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

kouloubj,

I had a switch sim question and basically it was a troubleshooting quesion. There were 3 switches on the net, some could not ping their gateway and VLAN inof was not propagating. What I did is check the default-gateway information and check to make sure the VTP domain info was correct on the switches, switch role and verify by pinging gateway and all other switches and make sure VLAN info was propagating accordingly using the show commands.

Hope this helps

Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back