Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silly PHP Linux Apache installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantnrave

Programmer
Jul 21, 2002
GB
I'm trying to install php4 on Mandrake 8.0 with apache 1.3.27 (and MySQL 3.23.51).
Apache works okay, although with 127.0.0.1 or localhost I get a welcome page for Apache Advanced ExtraNet or something - not what I have with Win 2K, but presumably correct.

The configure, make and make install bits of the php installation go okay. I edit the httpd.conf file with the appropriate AddType, the LoadModule php4_module bit is present, and AddModule mod_php4.c doesn't need to be added because I don't have a ClearModuleList line (so it says in the installation instructions). I have checked and rechecked my AddType line, and it is correct. I have put php.ini in /usr/local/lib/.

I have made a test php file and put it in the htdocs directory, as I did with Windows. Is that the correct place? The installation instructions just say 'in your web tree somewhere', which is really helpful. I have restarted apache, pointed to localhost, which is okay, and then tried to open my test file - and the file can't be found.

So what's going on? Any more of this and I'll give up on the idea of working with Linux, and stick to Windows...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back