Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silk Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodd

Technical User
May 5, 2005
US
Has anyone used Ilustrator to do silk screen artwork? I was wondering if there is anything special that I need to do. I would like to take a "print" ready file to a screen printer.

Thanks

The only thing I can think of involving silkscreening is they usually want all artwork to be in Pantone colours. And if you have blends/gradations or halftones in the art it will screen as dots (depending on the percentage of the halftone). Trapping will probably be an issue as well. Ask the printers if they prefer to trap the artwork.

Ask the printer, as Pixelchik said. They know exactly what they need, and it's not at all a bad thing if you don't know everything, so don't feel embarrassed. I'm a screen printer, and I'd much rather have clients ask me questions than receive a file that's horribly wrong...

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

I work in screen with Illustrator and we like everything in 100% vector art. We print to our film printer in 100% black.

Send your art unseparated vector with appropriate pantones in place. Screener will do the rest.

We prefer to do the trapping ourselves if needed.

Watch color shades as they will print as halftones, sometimes they look good sometimes not. Ask what their LPI is. Lines Per Inch. This will determine the size of the actual dots. (don't get confused with DPI)

Get the actual imprint area from the screener. Screen printing can have issues with small details. So design your work accordingly.

Some screen printers use a method called Pad Printing. It's like an old school rubber stamper. It causes alot of ink spread so watch small imprint sizes as the details will fill in with ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back