Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silent Monitoring & Call Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neily

Programmer
Jul 27, 2000
GB
We are using IPCC Express Enhanced 4.0(4)_Build 140.

I am trying to set up call recording for CAD Supervisor, but not sure what isn't working or how to test.

I have configure the Cisco Catalyst 3750G switch for Local SPAN (to start with for testing) using this page as a guide:

All seemed to go smoothly.

We have installed a 3rd NIC and connected it to the switch port we configured as the destination port for SPAN. Its been given a static IP.

I figured we must have to set some of setting for the server itself but the only document I've been able to find that even mentions this is this one:

Its for an old version and the Registry Keys are different on our version.

When we click reccord on a conversation to a phone on the same switch it looks like it records and the call is listed in the recorded calls window. But if we save it or we look at the files on the actual server they are always 1k in size.

What we really need is some direction on what we haven't done or how we can test what we have done.

THANKS

What you are trying to do is for IPCC version 3.X
4.X does not require a dedicated NIC or to span you switch ports.
All you have to do is in call manager under the agents pho ne enable the option "span port" and as long as the supervisors pc has a sound card they should be able to monitor an agents call.

So undo all you have done so far and try it. CISCO made monitoring and recording a lot simpler on version 4.X

Good luck.

Hi whykap

Thanks for the reply. That is very interesting.

Will this also allow us to record calls? This is what we are really aiming for, to use them for training and for being able to know exactly what our sales staff have told customers etc.

We are using Cisco CallManager 4.1, and I can't find the "span port" option anywhere. Can you give me direction or is it on the IPCC server I should look or is it a newer version of CallManager?

THANKS AGAIN

NEIL

Select the device (phone) by DN/MAC/description or however you wish to select it.
On the bottom of the options find:
Span to PC Port and enable it.

This is for monitoring and recording. Obviously the agents PC needs to be plugged in on the switch port of the phone for this to work which I assume you already do.

The recording has to be initiated by a supervisor or an agent himself. It does not record all calls. Hopefully that is not what you are trying to do.

So what about RSPAN?

For my tests, I will have the supervisor, agent and servers on same switch, but when we start using it properly, they maybe on remote switches.

Will this work?

I'm not sure if we want to record all calls but I know that can be done with a workflow.

I've just checked and there definately isn't a "SPAN to PC Port" option for me to enable under phone configuration.

So I'm not sure what we can do?!

the agents use IP Communicator mostly with supervisors having 7940s.

We also use 7905's and 7912's and 7960's but most of these won't be recorded.

The older sets do not have that option and neither does IPC since it does not have switch port.
Try it with a 7940 without turning on that option. Not sure how you can do it with IPC. You might have to RSPAN after all.
have you opened a TAC case? TAC should be able to point you the right direction.

I have not set up RSPAN on 4.X so not sure how it will work. On 3.X the document is straight forward on how to do it and it works.
If you cannot find a 4.x specific doc it probably not supported.

On a similar note, we're trying to do the same thing, with CM4.1, IPCC Express and 7940 phones.

The Supervisor can silently monitor the agents calls and hear them fine. When he records the calls he gets a WAV file and they appear in the recordings window, but when we play them back they are silent. The file sizes are consistent with something being recorded, but there seems to be nothing there.

I'm guessing that if silent monitoring is working, then recording should use the same process.

Can anyone suggest anything ?

We had to use RSPAN on the ports and not the phones. But its being used in a Citrix enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back