Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silent Dell server for SBS install

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
I'm needing to install a new SBS2003 in a client's office. The server will be located in an office with people working in it. Due to this i would like a server which is pretty quiet. I've used a PE840, PE T300, 1900 and 2900 and these, IMO, are a little too noisey for an office space. Anyone got any experience of the servers a little down the range?

It needs 1 CPU and 4 hard disks.

Any one got any experience of quiet Dells?

Thanks
Paul

I'd look into a high-end workstation. I've yet to see a "server" that was "quiet".

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Since you're looking for a single server in the middle of an office, I assume that you're looking for a tower, not rack mounted system. Unfortunately, it's no longer a current model, but the PE1800's with SATA drives are pretty quiet (except when they first start up).

Yeah, i have a few PE1800s kicking about and they are perfectly acceptible as an SBS. Unfortunetely the PE1900 which replaced it is too noisey for an office environment.

Thanks for the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back