Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silence board alarm on G3si

Status
Not open for further replies.

kempy4321

MIS
Sep 16, 2004
US
Here's the odd situation I'm in. Sorry this is a little lengthy...

I have a PBX with 2 DS1 cards in it. Each card is connected to a single fax board in a single fax server, giving me 2 completely independant fax servers. Unfortunately because the staff at Esker (the fax server company) change their story on a day to day basis for what their product is capable of doing, we're not able to cluster the two servers together to provide us with automatic failover. So what we would like to do is have the primary server up online, and then have the secondary server powered off but ready to go at any time if there is a problem with the primary. (licensing prevents us from using both at one time.)

Since the secondary will be powered off, the PBX will not be able to make a connection to the fax board, thus the PBX will throw up an alarm warning. This means that the PBX would constantly be in an alarmed state, so if a legitmit alarm would happen the alert lights I have setup on my phone will not change since they're already on. Is there a way to have the DS1 board that is connected to this secondary fax server not monitor itself so that an alarm is not generated while the fax server is powered off?

I know that an option would be to use just one DS1 board and move the cable to it from one server to another, but if we're troubleshooting a malfunctioning server we'll have to have both servers online at the same time.

Thanks.

You could try to put a loop back jack on the end of the cable for the secondary ds1 board, this way the PBX will think it's still connected.

And put a loop back plug into your smartjack to keep your CO from showing you have a unplugged circuit and busying the circuit out.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

I made a loopback plug and put it on the end of the card, but I still get a board warning for that card in my alarms. Is the correct pin out for the loopback plug 1-3 and 2-6?

Thanks for the help!

you may have to "test board XXX long clear" to remove the alarm.

I just found the pin outs. It's 1-2 and 4-5. This cleared the alarms.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back