Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Signature in 4.6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiesblue

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
US
Hi, I have a few users still using Notes 4.6.1 client. How do you setup signatures in Notes 4.6? Where do you go to set it up? It's easy in 5.0 and 6.0 but I can't figure out how to do it in 4.6.

Thanks

Inserting an Email Text Signature in Notes 4

Note: This applies to Notes 4. The auto-signature text for emails is supported in Notes 5.

Option 1 -- (Have a button on the toolbar that you press and it inserts your signature file. This file you can create in Word and save it as a .rtf file. To edit your signature in the future (change it), you would edit this file.) You will need to complete step I and II.

I. Create a Word .rtf file with the text you want to insert in your email.

1. Open Word
2. Create the signature you would like at the bottom of your email. You can format it however you would like. Everything in this file will be copied into your Notes Memo, including line feeds, etc. Example:

Your Name
Your Company
Your Phone Number

3. When satisfied, click File -> Save As
4. In the 'File Name' box, type exactly as it appears below:

c:\notes\data\signature.rtf

5. In the 'Save As Type' drop-down box, select:

Rich Text Format (*.rtf)

6. Click OK
7. Close the new document you just created (signature.rtf).

NOTE: If you ever want to edit your signature file, just open the c:\notes\data\signature.rtf document in Word, make your changes, and save.

II. Create a SmartIcon in Notes to paste in your new signature file.

1. Copy the following formula from this Word document below using Edit -> Copy starting at "@Command" and ending at "signature.rtf")". I don't recommend re-typing it because any little typo will cause this not to work.

@Command([EditBottom]);
@Command([EditInsertText];@NewLine);
@Command([TextSetFontFace];"Helv");
@Command([TextSetFontSize];"10");
@Command([TextNormal]);
@Command([TextSetFontColor];[DarkBlue]) ;
@Command([FileImport];"MicrosoftWord RTF";"c:\\notes\\data\\signature.rtf")

2. Go to your Notes Mail database
3. Click File -> Tools -> SmartIcons
4. Scroll down the window labeled 'Available Icons'. You should be able to find some spare icons labeled 'Macro Button'. (One that might work looks like a white envelope with a blue stamp on it.)
5. Click and drag your chosen icon over to the right hand window containing the active SmartIcons.
6. Click on your new icon in the right hand window to select it, then press the 'Edit Icon' button.
7. Change the icon description to read 'Paste Signature' -- or whatever you want it to say.
8. Click on the 'Formula' button to bring up the formula editor.
9. Paste the formula you copied above using your keyboard. Press:

Ctrl V

10. Click OK
11. Click Done
12. Click OK
13. You're now ready to test your new button! Create a Memo and press the button to make sure it works.

Option 2 -- (Have a button on the toolbar that you press and it inserts signature information stored behind that button.)

I. Create a SmartIcon in Notes to paste in your signature text included in the formula.

1. Copy the following formula from this Word document below using Edit -> Copy starting at "@Command" and ending at "ADDL-TEXT-LINE");". I don't recommend re-typing it because any little typo will cause this not to work.

@Command([EditBottom]);
@Command([TextSetFontFace];"Helv");
@Command([TextSetFontSize];"10");
@Command([TextNormal]);
@Command([TextSetFontColor];[DarkBlue]) ;
@Command([EditInsertText];"YOUR-NAME-HERE");
@Command([EditInsertText];"ADDL-TEXT-LINE");

2. Go to your Notes Mail database
3. Click File -> Tools -> SmartIcons
4. Scroll down the window labeled 'Available Icons'. You should be able to find some spare icons labeled 'Macro Button'. (One that might work looks like a white envelope with a blue stamp on it.)
5. Click and drag your chosen icon over to the right hand window containing the active SmartIcons.
6. Click on your new icon in the right hand window to select it, then press the 'Edit Icon' button.
7. Change the icon description to read 'Paste Signature' -- or whatever you want it to say.
8. Click on the 'Formula' button to bring up the formula editor.
9. Paste the formula you copied above using your keyboard. Press:

Ctrl V

10. Change the bolded text in quotes (i.e., "YOUR-NAME-HERE") with what you want the signature to insert. If you don't need all three lines, just delete the extra line(s). If you need more line(s), then copy the last two lines, including the semicolons, and paste them directly after the last line. For example, if three lines of text for your signature aren't enough because you want your name, title, company name and phone number, you would copy:

And paste it underneath the last line of the formula displayed in the formula edit window. Again, don't forget the semicolons.

11. When finished editing the signature text, click OK
12. Click Done
13. Click OK
14. You're now ready to test your new button! Create a Memo and press the button to make sure it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back