Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Signallin Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintoo69

MIS
Mar 1, 2009
PK
Hi, i am installing a CS1000E, HA rls 5. with 2 signalling server for LTPS only and 2 signalling server for SIP proxy(for redundancy). This site already have a NRS setup with Primary anf Alternate SS at other location. Now i need some advice from you all in following

(1) While Configuring Signalling server for LTPS only what
should i select in these as given below

<a> - Set this Signaling Server as a Leader.
<b> - Set this Signaling Server as a Follower.
<q> - Quit.

Enter Choice>>>>>>>Which option should i select?

<a> - Co-resident (LTPS/VTRK/NRS).
<b> - Standalone (NRS only - no Call Server).
<q> - Quit.

Enter Choice>>>>>>Which option should i select?

<a>H.323 Gatekeeper and SIP Redirect/Proxy Server.
<b>H.323 Gatekeeper only.
<c>SIP Redirect/Proxy Server only.
<d>None.

Enter Choice>>>>>>>Which option should i select

<a> - Primary.
<b> - Alternate.
<c> - Failsafe.

Enter Choice>>>>>>>Which option should i select?

(2)I need your advice in above these options also while
configuring SS as SIP proxy server also.

I will be very thankful if somebody helps.
Regards

Well based on your description above I think you need to setup your SS as follower:

B = Follower
A = Co-Res
D = None (you do not appear to use H.323 or SIP for this SS
B = Alternate (you might use Failsafe though as it sounds like you already have an alternate)

I am not a SS master, but that is what makes sense to me based on your info.

For SIP I imagine you would use:

A = leader
A or B = Co-res/Standalone(depending if you have a Call Server for it)
C = SIP redirect/Proxy only
A = Primary (and then change this to B or C once you get your other SS (redundant) setup for SIP)

This would be the intial setup I would experiment with. It would suck to have to go back and change it, so I am sure you would like a second or third opinion on these options. Best of luck!

I am confused by your original post.

Is this system already in use, or is this a new installation?

Is there already a node configured with signaling servers already providing LTPS? Are you trying to set up a new node in the system?

If this is a new system, or you are configuring a new node, then I would set one of the LTPS signaling servers as leader and the other as follower. I would set them both to None for H.323 Gatekeeper / SIP Proxy/Redirect. I would set the Leader as Failsafe for NRS role.

If you are adding these signaling servers to an existing node, then I would probably set them both to Follower and None for H.323 / SIP.

It is new system,and i am going to install.It is a multinational company having multiple sites around and having CS1000E at many site, NRS is already setup at main office and i am installing this new CS1000E rls 5 with 04 SS. I got instruction form there main Site IT that 02 SS will be use for LTPS and 02 as SIP server.They also sent me a Node ID but i am not confirmed whether it is Primary NRS IP or it is new.

You Need 1 SS as the leader for the Node you will assign the Node ID to this, put SIP on it (In your config leave TPS off, although normal would be to have it turned on, on all SS) it will be a failsafe NRS getting NRS database from the Primary (you will have to enter Primary and Alternate during setup). Leave all followers (The other 3) switched off.

Then once it is rebooted log in to Elephant manager (Web Browse to ELAN IP you Just Setup for Leader) go to the IP Node and retrieve the Node from the ELAN IP address of your new Leader. Then Edit the Node at the Bottom under the Sig Server heading add your 3 Followers Check Box for TPS and Drop down for SIP/H323 or Niether. As you are adding the SS you will enter the ELAN MAC Addresses (MAC 1) of the other SS. Save and transfer (3 will fail). Going to each Follower and tell it it is a Follower it will ask you for the Host Name of the Leader and nothing else, Reboot these and they will BootP from your Leader. Once they are up Save and Transfer the failed elements (3 SS) in Element Manager and Reboot all the Followers.

Robert should then be your Fathers Brother.

Thanks all for helping and i will do as you all advise. Sorry if i am asking many question in this thread, Actually i am new to multiple SS installation, i have done many SS installation but these were standalone or leader.
Can you explain why we use SS as SIP proxy?? what job SIP proxy do? and in what situation we configure SS as SIP server?

The Callserver establishes a Virtual SIP trunk to the SIP Gateway in the Lead Sig Server, the GW sends an Invite message to the NRS saying I Have these Digits in this format (CDP/UDP/E164/etc) the NRS finds the relevant End Point and sends a 302 message temporary moved to IP address of the End Point (Node IP of the distant End Point). The GW then sends and invite message to the other End Point and call setup begins.

So in a nutshell The Sig Server is the Middle man between the Call Server and The IP Peer Network.

Thats OK, but why we need a separate SS to setup as SIP proxy as we can configure this in Leader SS also? I mean in what situation we use separate SS setup as SIP proxy.
Thanks

If the Leader which is the SIP Proxy falls on its arse then the other one can step in and you still have Virtual Trunk.

Must say though it is normal to put SIP and TPS on all 4 SS, thus any one of them can run the node and then all the working ones would load share the TPS.

Yep I would agree with bignose21 that you should have SIP and TPS on all 4 SigServers ...
Oh and I liked his 'Elephant Manager' comment :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back