Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Signal Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulpr90

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi All,

Not sure if this is place to get advice sorry if Im waisting your time.

I need to increase the signal strength of a wireless router.
The current wirelss router is a BT voyager which is basically not very good. I am concerned that if I just replace the router the strength will still not be enough. The issue is not with certain rooms not picking up its simply a distance issue. The router needs to transmit at least 50 metres. Could someone please recommend a good router that will allow me to also get a stronger antenna.

Many Thanks Paul...

The router needs to transmit at least 50 metres". Is this just in one direction? And are there any obstacles in the path like walls, floors, trees, etc?

I've used Linksys routers in bridge configuration over what is probably a good 50 metres or so. Used a couple of small yagi aerials similar to these:-

Bear in mind that this type of aerial is directional, so you'll get weak signals off the side of the beam.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back