Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

signal boosting on wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwf

MIS
Sep 20, 2005
CA
I have a Linksys wireless G router, model # WAG54GS, it's positioned between 2 pc's and there about 15 feet away from the router, the signal is so low that sometimes they can't connect to the net, so i thought of boosting the signal. Can someone tell me if i were to get a high gain antenna model # HGA7T that it would be compatible for my router or should i just get a range expander model # WRE54G V2?

You really should not need to boost the signal if it is only traveling 15 feet. As a matter of fact, you may be too close already. Have you tried different antenna orientations? Most antennas have a local null at the top and bottom of the dipole. Rotating them may give you drastically different results.

I get closer to 90 feet away from my B wireless access point before I start to notice any significant signal degradation. I've never tried to use the wireless that close though. A cable works better and is a lot more secure.

pansophic

It would of course have been better to post this in the Wireless Data and Devices group. However...

To be getting such a poor signal suggests either there's a fault with one or other pieces of kit, or you're not telling us about the 6 inch thick lead-lined walls you're trying to go through! [smile]

Is this really just 15ft line of sight? Have you tried changing channels? Any other WiFi networks being picked up by the PC's? What sort of WiFi equipment is on the PC's? USB, PCI card, etc.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

there's the wag54gs router and a wmp54gs wireless nic. there is another internal nic that's been disabled. Both router and nic are linksys.

Ok, so they're PCI cards... The card's attached antenna looks to be quite "gainy", so at 15ft away from the router you ought to be getting absolutely end-stop signals.

You didn't answer my questions, so I'll assume that the antennas on the PCI cards have a direct visual on the WAG54GS's antenna. With nothing at all in the path, right?

And have you tried changing channels? Any other neighbourhood WiFi LANS your PCI cards can see?

You could also try a complete reset/power-off for the router, and see if that helps.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

yes, there's nothing in the way of the nic or the router, i've tried a reset twice but still the same. Should i try and flash the router? update it's software?

Ok here's a list to follow since we're going nowhere on this one at the moment:-

1. Has this setup ever worked successfully with good signals in its current location? If yes, what changes happened around the time it became unreliable?

2. If you have a cordless phone, try temporarily switching it off and unplugging the base unit.

3. Do you have a mobile phone mast on or close to your building, an aircraft or radar station next door, radio ham or cb'er in the building, or anything else likely to be pumping out RF?

4. What channel is currently being used? Assuming there are no other neighbourhood WiFi LANs showing up, move channels as far away from the one you're currently using.

5. Try temporarily moving one of the PCs much closer to the router, and see if this makes any difference to the received signal level. For just 15ft away line-of-sight, I'd be expecting a full 5 bars on the signal strength indicator.

6. If you have any security set on the units, (WEP, etc.), temporarily disable it so it's not confusing the issue.

7. If you're running any firewall software, (Norton, Zone Alarm, etc.), temporarily knock this off, ditto No.6 above.

8. Try uninstalling the software and remove the PCI WiFi card. Reinstall card in a different mobo slot, reload software.

And finally, before flasing the router, check with your supplier to see if these devices are still within their warranty period, as it's possible one or other may be just plain faulty.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Ok, i uninstalled the drivers/hardware, got the nics to see the router but can't connect. I have the windows logon screen ( link provided) asking for the WEP, as i'm to understand it's an ascii key created when i enter 'something' in the apropriate field, i have a 13 digit ascii wep like this: A5:45:44:B5:E3:90:61:6B:AO:37:10:EE:87.

I've entered that into the windows logon screen but keep getting the message stating what the WEP should be, anyone know what i'm doing wrong?.

I'd do a complete reset on the router. This will set everything back to manufacturer's defaults, and will also knock off WEP. Put in a WEP of your choice later on, once you've got the two PCs talking to it without signal problems.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

ok done that, got both pc's connected to the router now, problem is i still have a low connection on 1 pc, it's only 20 feet away from the router (can't put the router anywhere else). i get either low connection or it drops and get no connection.

So one of your two PCs is now getting a really good signal, with no dropouts, right? Ok.

Swap the positions of the PCs over. Does the "weak signal" stay in the same place or does it move with the PC. If it's the former, then you've got the unlikely scenario of an RF null and will need to move the PC marginally, or plug an antenna with a lead attached so it can be positioned for a better signal. However, much more likely it's the latter, which would indicate a duff piece of kit. Either the PCI card is not working properly, or the external antenna is broken internally.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Is there any motors or high-voltage lights nearby?
This could be a noise issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back