Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sig Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrizzard

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2003
US
Does anyone know what all is needed to implement a signaling server in a meridian system, as far as buying equipment. I've gotten part numbers from nortel today for the Signaling Server for RLS3 OEM pack that includes the server and all the software with documentation and pricing for ATA/2's and i series phones, but is there something else I'll need that Im missing? I currently have an Option 11 right now fyi. Also, I've done some searching on the forum and have found references to gatekeeper and element manager software, are these part of signaling server for managing the sets?

Thanks in advance

the way upgrades are done is thru a sw called configurator - this takes care of your present sw version/ packages installed and you'll need to transfer your licenses to the new SW
Nortel will be responsible for the validity of the solution

i'm assuming the reason for the upgrade is to useIP phones
it is better to get hold a vendor - ask them to do a network eval as well.

you can register at nortel and get the docs ... read the hardware identification guide

Actually our vendor(verizon) will be handling the upgrade, Im just wondering from a "getting my ducks in a row" perspective if I'm missing something?

The only thing that can kill you is the network side. Make sure your network guys/gals are involved in this implementation early. Don't bring them in during the installation. Let them prepare their equipment prior to the upgrade. Have them talk to the engineer to make sure your network is ready.

but if the rollout is not on a large scale, it's just a couple of IP addresses. post the OEM package items and we should be able to let you know if everything is there.

I have only run into one sig server install where the actual sig server was bad. 99.9% of the installs went off without a hitch.

John

I actually handle the network , and we'll be using 768k cir frame-relay for the first office we're testing out, but this will only be 3 phones, but for most of the other offices where there are 20+ phones we'll be using Verizon's TLS fiber service with a 10 or 100mbit connection. Here is the part number I have right now for the OEM pack - NTDU27DA. I was also given NTDU21AE ,but the nortel rep told me the first one should have everything I need. Will I need a VGMC though? If so does anyone have a part#/price for that?

Thanks in advance

Gatekeeper will be another equipment where all IP phones get registered when they initiate a call this will be your gateway to outside world. Element manager is a software to configure a sig server.

If only 1 system with Sig Serv, configuration of the GK is not necessary. The IP Phones registered in TPS, not GK.
If Sig Serv fails, the IP Phone get registration on the Media Card that is configured as follower.
The GK is necessary if you wish to route IP calls to another IP PBX by staying in the IP world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back