Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIEMENS SpeedStream 4200/Lynksys Router Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNPLAGUE

Technical User
Jun 12, 2008
US
I am in quite a bind and have looked for over 3 months now on a solution.

I have Xbox Live, but when testing my network settings the test results ALWAYS show my NAT as being strict.

I have tried numerous ways to fix it by following tutorials, calling tech support, and roaming the internet.

I have an unusual setup. My ISP is Windstream/Altell. My modem is a SIEMENS SpeedStream 4200 which is connected to the Linksys WRT54G router.

I have solved the router problem multiple times via port forwarding/DMZ/and for a time PPPoE.

I have now come to the conclusion that it is the ISP and their modem which is causing my hardship.

So my question is how can I open my NAT on Xbox Live?

Step One Most important: You have two routers, one by Linksys, one by Siemens. Once you accept this, you will realize that you need to port forward every thing twice, once in the Linksys, once in the Siemens.

(port forwarding starts on page 35)

Once you realize you have two routers, one can consider getting down to one router (as simpler than double NAT)

It would be easy to demote your Wireless Router to a Wireless Access Point.

To convert a Wireless router to a Wireless Access Point:

Then give it an IP address in the range of the other router’s IP subnet, but outside it’s DHCP range.
Then connect the two routers using their LAN ports (sometime marked 1 to 4) and leave the WAN or Internet port of the Wireless router empty forever.

Putting the ADSL router into bridge mode, and using the Linksys to do PPPoE and routing is another choice Page 37 of the above PDF has instructions on bridge mode.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Not to hijack the thread but i'm having a similar problem. I have the same ISP and modem as above. I use a netgear router and EVERYTHING works. I connect another computer and my cell phone using the wifi connection from the router. My only problem is when I use my Xbox360 it won't let me join any multiplayer games. i can play all games and send messages etc but it will not let me connect to any online multiplayer. I direct connected the xbox to the modem and still the same problem which tells me it's a ISP thing. Any suggestions?

Um yes, and I wrote them just above your post.

You either have to port forward twice, or ask yourself, why do I have two routers in my network?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back