Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick99 on new Windows 7 computer after zinstall transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

golflima

Technical User
May 8, 2007
US
I have been postponing replacement of my 10 year old XP laptop becausse of Windows 7 concerns. Before purchasing new computer, I successfuly installed Sidekick 99 on a friends Windows 7 computer.

In order to save problems in transferring all my programs from XP computer to Win 7 computer, I ran a program called Zinstall WinWin. It appeared to have moved all programs over, but some of them would not run. Among them Sidekick 99. I removed all the non working programs planning to reinstall from original disks. Sidekick attempt was aborted with message about previous installation or removal. I went all the way through the registry, removing all references to StarFish and Sidekick, but still get the same message.

An earlier post referred to same problem in XP, solved by finding and renaming win.ini file. I can't find win.ini anywhere in my new Win 7 computer. I need to solve this problem, or find a suitable replacement for Sidekick 99. Hate to think of typing in 15 years of contacts and schedules, but will do so if necessary. What should I use, and how about exporting data to it.

Dear Golflima (GL I presume),
Check out the FAQ pages here specifically:
faq807-2246
as it explains the situation where you cannot find the win.ini file:

If for any reason you cannot identify the two files in the Program folder because you cannot see the extensions (.exe or .dll) next to the filenames you may have to

1. Open an Explorer window and then
2. Go to View|Folder Options|
Or right-click on the Internet explorer icon and choose
Internet Options and then
3. In the window that opens go to the View Tab and
4. Scroll down until you see .
Show Hidden Files and Folders

5. Tick the box next to that and then
6. Untick the Box next to both

Hide extensions for known File Types
and
Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)
You can return to the Program folder and the Files will be visible and you can continue with the Patch installations

7. You should reverse these changes when you have finished the procedure and you can do it in ANY Windows Explorer folder.

hth

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Whoops that explanation is for the Sidekick98 patch files but the view files explanation is the same for the Win.ini file as it is an operating system file and it is possible to delete it but copy and paste it first into the same folder(actually the root of the C:\ drive) and rename it to Winini.old

HTH

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Thanks Jim. It is GL, international racing numbers from a sailplane that I used to win several regional soaring championships.

I tried all your suggestions, but still could not locate a win.ini file. As I mentioned, I have Sidekick 99, which has become indispensable. I have weeded out all identifiable registry entries referring to Starfish and Sidekick. Still get the old "Previous Installation" error message.

Is this an impossible task, and, if so, where can I find a similar program that I can export to, or re-enter (shudder) all my information?

Is it possible that Sidekick 98, if I can find it, could push through this problem with my Windows 7?

Again, many thanks for any help you can give.

Gordon

Go to the download website mentioned in the faq pages here and send an email and I will discuss the options with you. We can return here to post the result.
Regards Jim

Specifically
faq807-3761

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back