Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick99 Memo problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

onleg

Technical User
Jul 13, 2004
US
Sidekick99 is running just fine except for the "memo" option. I had made a few entries and now, when memo is called up, I get an error message that there is not enough memory size. I can no longer access the feature.

Sidekick tech support phone numbers are no longer valid. Looks like it no longer belongs to anyone in particular.

Onleg

Dear Onleg,
Close down Sidekick and then Using Explorer go to the Userdata folder and look for files with the file type:
####.SKContent
####.SKNoteHeader
####.SKWrite
Move them to another folder and then restart Sidekick, there will then be a blank untitled Memo file which you can save as a NEW NAME.
Then go to
File|Open Memo File
then navigate to the one you moved earlier and attempt to open that one.
Let me know how you get on.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

James33

I followed your suggestion without success.
Let me mention that I created a USERFILE in MY DOCUMENTS to facilitate backup.

The SIDEKICK.EXE is in the STARFISH directory as it should be but I changed the destination of data to the MY DOCUMENTS directory.

This continues to work quite well. Per your instruction, I moved all MEMO files to a temporary site. I sill get a memory error message when I try to access MEMOS. I then re-installed SIDEKICK hoping this would solve the problem. It didnt. The blank MEMO file I anticipated did not come up. Only an error message.

I had backed up MY DOCUMENTS several days ago, so, I copied the backed up MEMO files into the USERDATA folder. The problem still exists.

All other SIDEKICK functions seem to be working OK.

BTW: I wish I were in Ireland right now. I am in Lousiana,USA and we are in a 95 deg. steam bath.

Russ Allor (onleg) rallor@cox.net

Dear Russ,
Is there any other Memo file in the Userdata folder?
I would be inclined to delete all the files in the userdata folder(after having copied/backed up the folder to somewhere else).
Even though you have moved your data folder somewhere else,
if Sidekick starts up and there are no cardfiles or memos in it, a Temporary cardfile or memo will be created in the Userdata folder as that is what is written in the registry.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Jim:
I walked through the "memo' procecure one more time and, when I got the error message, there was an option to read the details. Most of the information was hexadecimal coding but I recognized the error referred to "sidekick99.exe"

It ocurred to me that a reinstallation would not necessarily write over existing files, so, I deleted the executable and did another installation.

IT WORKED. I brought my backed up memo files back into the target folder and everything is running fine.

Thanks for the helpful dialog.

Russ Allor (onleg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back