Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sidekick98 has stopped working in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimalex

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
Gibraltar
I have a new laptop and downloaded sidekick98. It worked and later I had a message "sidekick98 has stopped working". I reloaded and it worked. I again had the message and this time I used system restore. This worked. I am not sure what it could be and maybe Microsoft will comment. I have loaded the WinHelp update which is not supported on Vista. This allows me access to Help. Sidekick 2 works well- I have had this since Windows 95.

Dear Jimalex,

Hi again.
Still sticking with Sidekick 2 eh! You are a traditionalist...

Have you installed SK98 on the root of the C: drive?
Please follow the instructions to the letter on my website and here (Faq pages faq807-7112) for installing it.

I am afraid that the help section in Sidekick98 is 9 years out of date really, so installing Winhelp to view it is not going to 'help' much.
The other thing is to run it in Compatibility Mode by right clickng on the shortcut you use to start it up and choosing that from the drop down list.

The instructions from various people in the FAQ pages and the Forum (search for Vista and Sidekick) are more use than most of the help in Sidekick, although I have to admit that it has some really good sections advising what should NOT be done and the limits of various sections of the program.

Let us know how you get on after checking the above out.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Hi James33
Sidekick98 is working well: I forget to mention I had to take it out of default Program Files into a Stardust folder in C. Maybe that was all it was. Your right about Help but I learn fast forget quickly and need to remember what truesync was all about. The Sidekick2 files work in Sidekick98. So I stick with that.
I have not needed compatability mode. You would think it was necessary. If anything looks a bit out of date it is my Palm Zire71.
Incidentally, I also use Vodaphone Mobile Connect Lite which blocks the Sidekick download. Normal wifi is ok.

Dear jimalex,

The vodaphone problem could be related to the size of the download OR the fact that it is an .exe (program)file...

Glad to hear you are ok.

Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back