Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick98 and Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm1950

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
US
Has anyone successfully installed Sidekick98 on a Windows 8 machine?

Well the absence of any comments can't be a good sign. But Windows 8 looks like a step backwards to me anyway(?).

I just used the compatibility check for Win 8. It checked all programs, but NOT Sidekick 98. I suspect that having installed it on the root C: may be the reason. The compatibility program is likely set to check only programs in either of the Program Files folders. I guess when someone is forced to buy Win 8 on a new computer, we will learn if it works or not.

Hi All: I have had nothing to ask for such a long time. However, I am almost forced into considering Windows 8. One of the reasons I have limped along with WXP Pro for such a long time, is my 18 year accumulation of Sidekick files. I found the original post in this thread very interesting. Specifically, the lack of any responses with experience in W8 and SK. I am using SK 98 with patches (Always many thanks to James 33).

I may stay with WXP pro - 32 bit, in spite of Microsoft (Or Microhard if you will) not supporting same after April of next year. Perhaps that is a good thing. Every download from them seems to bring unwanted gifts.

I will continue to monitor this thread for answers regarding W 8 and SK98.

Hello to James 33 from the "Colonies.'
Blaze

Hi Blaze,
Good to hear from another long term user (again) and a fellow traveller.

Microsoft have always done exactly what they wanted and from a pragmatic point of view it makes sense for them.

Here's wishing for another 18 years of Sidekick slipping under their Radar!

Regards
Jim

Note that in the last thread, Sue said she had installed Sidekick98 in Windows8.

jimalex, I can't find the "last thread" you referred to saying Sue had installed SK98 in Win8. Would you point to the thread?

Hi WDane,
The Henry W link you mention is the same link where Sue said she had got it to work in Windows 8 (using Henry W's zip).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back