Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick PIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledrider

Technical User
Dec 28, 2007
US
I've been retired now for several years so most of my needs are limited to the "personal" part of PIM. Other than managing my personal business matters most of my computer work is photo and video editing. I just joined tek-tips as a result of reading threads on Sidekick. Like several others I've used Sidekick (various versions) since DOS days. I'm presently using SK-95 on XP computer ... other machine XP Pro-64 (for video editing) and Sidekick won't load on 64 bit. Wish it would but I can live with it.

About once/year I go looking for something to replace Sidekick with and like some others conclude that best thing is to stay with Sidekick. It is soooooo flexible to meet individual preferences and without all the corporate clutter of Outlook. I don't use PDA's so transfer/sync not an issue. (I spent too many years taking my work with me, now when I go snowmobiling or fishing that stuff all stays home. Smile.)

Okay, I have two questions:

(1) Is there any advantage to upgrading to SK-98? I occasionally see original copies for sale. The only problem I ever have is that I get error message when switching from say address book to calendar sometimes that file is not available, but clicking OK always results in making the switch succesfully anyhow ... nuisance rather than a problem.

(2) This ? is more of a "wondering outloud" than a real question. Does Starfish still own Sidekick and if so (or whoever owns it) do you think there would be any way to lobby them to bring it out of the vault and re-invigorate it?

Sledrider

Dear Sledrider,

Reference question (2)Does Starfish still own Sidekick and if so (or whoever owns it) do you think there would be any way to lobby them to bring it out of the vault and re-invigorate it?

Check out the following thread:
Support for an independent version of SideKick
thread807-1089796

and

Possible successors to Sidekick (I know we don't want to move, but...)
thread807-1316721
They cover everything we all know about other PIMs .....

Then go to this FAQ which tells you where to get Versions of Sidekick and then
The following thread that tells you how they work with Vista.

Sidekick 99 with Vista
thread807-1384064
Which covers SK99 and SK98 with Vista

See how you get on with those and then Post back as it will save some of the explaining.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Thanks, Jim ... the thread your pointed me to on developing an independent sidekick certainly answered that question.

I had already read the long (very long) thread on possible successors to Sidekick (not real encouraging).

I've looked at the FAQ's and read the SK99/Vista thread you pointed me to, but don't find an answer to my question as to what the benefit might be in moving from SK95 to SK98 (if any). I'm using XP and have no plans to ever move to Vista.

Let me add that the only problem (nuisance) I have with SK95 is not being able to synchronize email addresses in the Sikekick database with my email program. Multiple address catalogs, doing batch operations on marked cards, printing labels, notes you can view on same screen as card are among the important features that SK has and I don't see in any other PIM. Oh, and being able to print a calendar for the whole year (monthly) with all the repeat personal events (birthdays etc) automatically included is wonderful. Hmmmmm, wonder why I spend any time at all looking for an alternative when Sidekick is so great? Nothing is ever perfect. Probably like others I just worry about depending so much on this old a unit. Tek-Tips is probably not the place, but I'd like to start a thread sometime on the pros & cons of upgrading vs. staying with the old ... both hardware and software, but especially software. We're too often victims of marketing and when you look at ALL the time spent upgrading, NET/REAL productivity & effectniveness suffers. Ooops, I'm getting off the track.

/Larry

Dear Larry,

I think you probably answered your own questions!

However I think, but I am not completely sure; that in Sidekick 95 you can open an Outlook address cardfile but it is Read only.

+ The email address synchronising could be done by opening a new Outlook or Eudora address book Cardfile each time you used Sidekick. Oh I think that only works with Internet Sidekick.

Probably not the way you want it.
Anyway good luck and
Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back