Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick and Office Ultimate 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestyla

Technical User
Mar 26, 2008
US
Please help! I'm running XP Pro and have had no problems with SK until I installed Office Ultimate 2007. It murdered Sidekick! I read all the forums, tried all suggestions and nothing worked. Finally uninstalled SK and tried to re-install. Nothing happens! I click on Setup and the hour glass comes up for a few seconds and that's it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dear Vestyla,

Below is a conversation I have had so far with someone else through my email address.
I have added another suggestion at the bottom.

any suggestions for getting sidekick 98 to run on Windows XP again.
I had it previously installed and running well, but I had to reinstall XP. Now Sidekick 98 wont run.
Can you help?

What I want also is to have sidekick 98 running on my Windows XP PC.
I've tried installing SK98 and patch (from the site), to the C: dir of my PC and it still wont run. The path; C:\STARFISH\SIDEKICK 98\.

What is the error message that you are getting?

There is no error message. Nothing displays when I double click on the icon.
That's as far as it goes; no where!

When you say you got it installed did you reboot afterwards?
Did the Install go without any hitch?
Have you opened Windows Explorer and navigated to
C:\STARFISH\SIDEKICK 98\Program and found Sidekick.exe and right clicked and sent to desktop as a Shortcut?
If that does not work then you can then choose to run in Compatability mode but having said that it should work with what I have suggested already.
Let me know how that goes.
Regards Jim

4.I've done all that you suggested and still it wont run. Have you any other tips for me?

I presume you have re-booted since you installed?

Are you logged in the same account you installed from?

Is there no splash screen too?

Let me know the answer to those questions
I am at a bit of a loss as I have never come across that error it seems very strange.
Have you added or altered any files in or to the Userdata folder
Are there any instances of Sidekick.exe running in Task Manager?
Have you tried disabling all threads of office eg Findfast if that is the name now or is it the Indexing service?
Do that and then try to start Sidekick but do it one thing at a time to see which is the thread that is stopping Sidekick loading.

Regards
Jim

Above is the q&a session we have had up to the present with my replies bolded

ANY other ideas folks as this one is new to me!

Thanks for the idea, but the problem is, that I can't even get SK to install! Obviously something is blocking it, but I can't figure out what it is.
Vestyla

I've just purchased a Dell Vostro 1310 with XP Pro and when I try to load Truesync Desktop 2000 I get a message saying that another installation or uninstallation is running, so re-boot. When I reboot and go again, same result.

I installed Desktop on one of the new mini desktop Acer machines recently and the only way to get it running was to uninstall all of Acer's control programs, right back to only Win XP.

Then on the Acer today I installed software for a new HP printer and hey presto, Desktop won't load unless I give the three-finger salute and kill off "spoolsv.exe".

Anyone got any solutions?

When will someone please write some code to upgrade Desktop to run smoothly on XP? I love this little program but it is such a pain to get it going on the latest machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back