Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick and Daylight Savings Time in the US 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipw2

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
Daylight Savings time has come 3 weeks early to the US. Sidekick refuses to recognize it. So instead of being 12:48, my sidekick thinks it is 11:48. My computer has the right time, just not sidekick. I had Sidekick sync with one of the world clocks but nothing seems to have taken.

Real problem for appointment alarms. I thought I would switch cities, moving from Washington, D.C. to Caracas. But then it takes all my existing appts and pushes them back an hour. (I guess it thinks I live in caracas but my computer is in DC and is compensating.)

Any thoughts on how to rejigger the daylight savings time to make it the 2 Sunday in March instead of the 1st sunday in April? I will also need to adjust the fall calendar.

Dear Philipw2,

Go to View|Earth Time
Select another city NOT your home city and then right click on it and select Set as Local Time, then go to your home city and right click on it and select Modify City information....
Choose
Daylight saving time starts and ends on relative dates
Select the 1st Sun of March or whatever it is and then set the end time to whatever it will be and hopefully that solves it.
Then agree with the next dialog and then right clivck on your home city and choose
Set as Local time

Let me know if that works

HTH
Jim

Works just fine. I have to clean up March a little but after that, it looks great.

You've saved Sidekick and my Rex 3 for me. I was afraid that this was it for the little guy. Anyone with ADD as bad as mine needs those alarms to remind us to do all sorts of things. I thought I was going to have to get a big do-everything PDA. But now all I have to do is find the fall rules and I am good until they change something else.

Thanks.

Dear Philip,

Glad to hear it worked out OK, Sidekick still surprises me and I would not have found that out without you asking the question!
Funnily enough in Ireland we get an overlap when I have to put us down as being in London, because Sidekick seems to feel that DST should begin a week early for us here; now I can change that too!
I will just add SK98 SK99 + DST to the thread so it can be found with a Google search to save having to repeat myself.
I think I should put it onto a FAQ too.
Regards
Jim

By all means add it to the FAQs and keep google in mind. US residents who use sidekick are all going to have to learn that particular tab sometime this week.

Update: While Sidekick took to the adjustment easily, REX did not. It would not: Choosing Washington as the home city meant the old time not the 1 hour forward. (I guess its lookup table is in the firmware, rather than in the user defined settings from Sidekick. Is there another explanation?) So I am having to tell it that I am in Caracas, for 3 weeks in the spring and 1 week in the fall. Hopefully, that will be the only unintended consequence. Oh, well.

Dear Philip,

The REX was designed for Franklin and not by Starfish AFAIK.

Never mind, on the positive side you get to travel (virtually) for a month every year (-;

Regards
Jim

Great Tip! I too thought this marked the end of my use of Sidekick, but Sidekick 98 is still a GREAT piece of software (too bad it's not supported any more). Thanks again to Tek-Tips for being here.

Also, for U.S. users don't forget to change the ending time for Daylight Savings Time.

DST Starts: 2nd Sun in March
DST Ends: 1st Sun in November

Dear Philip,

See thread807-1346903
by clicking on ^ that link for an answer to the Rex problem maybe...

I would like your opinion on the file too if that is possible.

Thanks
Jim

Jim,

I opened the link once, had attend to other business and now cannot open it. Could you recheck it?

The REX client does have to be reset by hand. A friend who also has a REX had a similar experience to mine at having to redo both the REX client and the software in order to really accomodate the new time change. I wonder what is going to happen in the fall?

Sorry Philip,

I cannot find it either, so goodness knows where it went to.
I presume you saw that they were offering an updated file for a Rex to sync through TruSync Plus?

I had suggested that we test it first (Scan for Virae etc) hope it was not a scam. If the person is serious they can post back. I did not save that page and I use firefox and wipe history each time I log off so I cannot even remember the guys name.

We will see, but I advise everyone to not download and install anything without scanning it with an up to date Virus Program!

Regards
Jim

My instinct is that it wasn't worth it. The change in Sidekick is an easy one time reconfiguration of your home city. And second once you know that you have to change the REX client time by hand, you are done. Why would I want to reload my firmwear? I do not even know where I would find old clean firmwear. SO if it went south....

James33,
I created that thread regarding the updated tszones.dat for TrueSyncPlus. It was legit. The update came from a friend who worked at Starfish "back in the day". There are some of us who still use the Rex. I personally don't sync my rex with a pim any longer. Anyway the thread was deleted by the the forum admin. I can understand their action. They don't want illegal file sharing.

-clayj

Dear philipw2,

Actually the tszones.dat file that he is talking about would be a text file if you open INTERNET SIDEKICK'S TIMEZONE.DAT in Notepad it looks like this:
Code:
Unknown      Afghanistan  Alaska    $Algeria    8Andorra    ·Angola   6 Anguilla etc etc etc
Not that it is impossible to include a virus in it but unlikely I guess.

If clayj wants to arrange a method of getting it to me without mentioning the 'E' word which would trigger a thread delete, check out the FAQ pages here.
I could as I said before, make it available at 250Free. after checking it out, has he checked out tices website which is mentioned in the following FAQ page:
Rex accessors and Patches etc faq807-3726

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

I simply corrected my local timezone in Timezone.dat by using the TXexplorer utility and setting it to current Windows settings. Then I resynced my RexPro.

Worked great.

IWhen I try I get an error message that says cannot open TSZones.DAT in that folder. I cannot even run TSexplorer.exe. It dies right after the error message. Since my REX seems fixed, I see no reason to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back