Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 - Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pages92466

Technical User
Nov 18, 2023
US
Can someone please tell me how I can get a copy of the Sidekick 98 program? (I'd like to load on a Windows 10 machine for someone who had an old copy on a Windows 97 laptop that just died. He'd like to be able to retrieve his information from an old hard drive.)

I'm not certain where to get the program, nor if there are special instructions for loading on a Win 10 machine?

Please advise.

Scroll down the page re your question to james33 / 22nd march 2021 on latest page (1) and then look for Rich224422 on page 2 and subsequent (which are previous discussions between them).
Between them they solved the problems.

These lines from their inputs I saved as most important:-MUST run as administrator in compatibility mode XP SP3 or similar.
Need to set up a receiving/install file ..do not allow Windows 10 to install elsewhere
C:\Starfish\Sidekick98 (ie C → Starfish → Sidekick98 → (subsequent folders)) ie NOT … Program Files.

On some machines Sidekick will not start if Chrome and Opera (maybe other browsers) are open. Close them.
Also in my notes and possibly from James etc. it says download yintl.exe , expand and copy /replace the yintl.dll into Sidekick. Possible source/ info
(In reflection there is a lot of reading to do /picking out relevant bits bearing in mind the program is 25 years old and discontinued by Borland almost as long ago).
I’ve had it and still runs on my Windows 10 Pro thru all the iterations of Windows.

Further Sidekick 98 was given away as a cover CD in 1999 by PC Advisor magazine which also said that over 10 million copies of Sidekick had been sold. There must be one or two copies around but snag is nobody is going to upload their email/home address fearing inundation of requests for a copy.

Dear KaraChow
The instructions to contact me to acquire a download are available in the FAQs here in this forum and have been there since I first posted the FAQ around 2002-2003.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Hi James, thank you for your email to my Outlook Acc. However I was trying to help Pages92466 .. the first entry to this topic who was asking how to get a copy of Sidekick (I have original disc ). I have found your suggestions really helpful over the years and was trying to point the question originator to view your many help pages. If Pages92466 is still awaiting the answer to his question you have solved his problem, thank you. karachow

Dear karachow
Apologies for cutting in on the conversation, I just saw your answer ref someone leaving their email and the unlikelyhood of that and chimed in.
Thank you for the help you were giving, I am not as regular posting as I used to be as I am retired and have lots of granddaughters and since last July a great granddaughter so life is far busier than it used to be, even when I was at work.
Good luck all and its good to know that after nearly a quarter of a century, there are plenty like yourself willing to help people keep Sidekick (even with a few problems) a going concern.

On another note does anyone have an answer to the following:
I still wonder if Motorola who bought up Sidekick from Starfish used the synchronising software in SK97 Internet Sidekick as the basis for all the online file merging software we use today...

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back