Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 clock weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumblejim

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
US
I've installed Sidekick 98 on my new computer (using Vista). Everything works fine except that the clock/calendar in Sidekick reads an hour earlier than the actual time. I suspect its something to do with the change to Daylight Saving Time this past weekend, but I'd have thought that Sidekick would just read the computer's clock/calendar. But I see that it's also doing the same thing on my old computer (using XP). So I guess it's still programmed to the old date for the DST time change (which was altered a few weeks ago.) But I've never seen the problem before. Any ideas how to get Sidekick to "know" it's in DST now?

Dear jumblejim

See the following post:

Sidekick and Daylight Savings Time in the US
thread807-1344541

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Thanks. That solved the time/date problem. Though it did nothing for the other problem I mentioned in a later post, where my To Do and Call items won't forward and even if moved manually, revert to the first installation date as soon as the next midnight rolls around. Weird.

Dear Jumblejim,
Check out the following faq for the address of the Patch that corrects the ToDos not forwarding problem and make very sure that you install the patch exactly as suggested.

faq807-3761
and check out the FAQ pages at the site mentioned too

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Dear jumblejim,

I suggest we concentrate your answers in this thread, I did not see the other thread before I answered the last of your questions here.

Regards
Jim

Patch applied as instructed. No effect. The old stuff on my Calls and To Do list keep reverting to March 10 at midnight (March 10 being the day I transferred my data files to the new computer.) I also noticed something I now realize has been happening all along but didn't quite note before: ANY new To Dos or Calls disappear completely at midnight. They do NOT get reverted to March 10. Only stuff that was actually there on March 10 flies back to that date at midnight. Everything else vanishes completely.

Meanwhile, my old XP machine is still running (at least for the time being) and everything in Sidekick 98 works just dandy there.

I desperately need to maintain the information in my Sidekick data from the past years, as I refer back often in my work. But it's looking more like I need to get a new program to do what Sidekick does -- if there even is such a thing. But how to transfer all that old Sidekick data? This stinks. What's so hard about creating a program as good as Sidekick anyway? I'm very frustrated right now.

Dear Jumblejim,

Check that the files which you transferred,
all of them, (as there are several in the Calendar) are NOT still read-only from transferring them by CD.

Check the FAQ pages at my website for the list.

Regards Jim

Hey. Thanks for the help thus far. I double checked that none of the Sidekick files were read-only. Some were, but I changed them. Then I typed something in today's To Do section, saved the calendar, closed the program, and restarted it. The new stuff I'd just typed was gone.

I'm wondering if I need to reinstall the program. Think that would help? (Keeping the data, of course.)

hello James,

I hope this is a good way to reach you on this issue of S98 not auto-forwarding items in Calls and ToDo.

What's very strange in my case is that it just suddenly stopped doing this a while ago. I haven't changed systems or platforms (I'm on XP), or anything that I'm aware of (though the constant and irritating stream of who-knows-what known as Microsoft updates continues).

It still says it's set to auto-forward for 30 days.

I don't know what to do here. It's a Sidekick virtue I really love that it just keeps autoforwarding (it used to auto-forward for months, not just 30 days --- that's a better "bug" than this latest).

Can you help?

Is it worth downloading and re-installing the patch?

Thanks very much.

Susan

Dear Susan,
A new post may have been more sensible as it gives others a chance to read the answers to your question.

Since we are here:

It would probably be best to re-install the patch and the program (obviously in the reverse order to that statement)!
You can try that before you uninstall.
BUT BACKUP your entire Starfish Sidekick folder before you do any of the above and if that method does not work, uninstall just in case there is a file which is corrupted which does not get replaced.

Be very careful and BACKUP everything. You will lose the size of your Labels but not the contents as they are saved in the Cardfile itself.You will also lose the envelope layouts but you may be able to replace the sklayout file that determines the colours and layout of your desktop etc.

Let me know how you get on with that.

Regards
Jim

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back