Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 97 Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptanna

Programmer
Sep 18, 2005
US
I currently have Sidekick 97 and just got a Palm Pilot I know there is software available to sync my data onto it, but having a difficult time on how to do it. Can anyone help me out? Also I noticed there is an item on ebay called "SideKick 2" is this the latest version? Is it good, and does it have the Truesync software bundled?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pathik

Dear ptanna,

No Sidekick2 is definitely NOT the latest, see this FAQ

faq807-3761

Sidekick98 would seem to be the best version BECAUSE if you are running Sidekick97 then you are getting the Mast.wk which is solved for Sidekick98 when you install the SK98 patch.
You can also check out Palm Desktop at:
Palm.com
Check out the website mentioned in faq807-3761
it has a version comparison chart.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Dear ptanna,

Further to the last post (I was at work when I posted it):

There is a really good FAQ here at Tek-Tips written by letitiashen that describes the method of installing the software for synchronising a palm:

faq807-2599

but ignore the location for the Sidekick99 download:

Web Links:
Sidekick 99 download
Web Site: Password: santa@cruz

The new location for downloading Sidekick99 is on this FAQ page:

faq807-3761

Good luck and post back when you have it up and running.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Thanks for all your help. I was able to download the newer versions of Sidekick. I installed Sidekick 98 with the patch and transfered my data to it. I was reading the FAQ for TrueSync and it mentioned using SideKick 99, I prefer not to use Sidekick 99 since it is a "cut down" version. I currently have a Palm Treo 650 Cell Phone after I got the Sync done will I have a new program icon in my Palm with my Addressbook, data, etc or will it just be/overwrite in my contacts?

Also when I was installing Sidekick 98, it did install TrueSync, so now all I need is Truesync Plus?

I already have a lot of contacts in my Treo, so I need to keep this Sidekick contacts data separate.

Thanks!

Dear ptanna,

Did you check out faq807-2599 ?

I am not really the expert on the synchronising process, I know the programs, but I don't do it often enough to advise you on all of it.
The contacts sync will be with the current contacts already in the Palm so do a Backup of your Palm data BEFORE you sync for the first time.
I suggest sending a FAQ comment to letitiashen at the FAQ above in case she hasn't seen this post/thread as she has a wealth of experience in the Synching(!) area and would be far more capable of advising you.

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back