Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 95 cardfile corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryantt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2003
TT
HELP!!!
I was using a copy of Sidekick 95 on my dell Inspiron 2600,loaded with WinXP home edition, and all I can see now are the NAME entries, when I click on a name the contact information column just flashes briefly, and nothing is displayed, please can anyone tell me how to repair that cardfile of what I can do to restore the contact info on my cardfile.
TIA
Ryan

Dear Ryantt,
Back up your files to removeable disk first and then close Windows down and restart.
Do that first
Then:
Scan your disc (tick Fix Errors), see if that will solve it.
If after that it still won't work, post again.
Good Luck

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Thanks for your post JIm,
I Did exactly as you described, but it still didnt work,
any other suggestions?

Regards
Ryan

Dear Ryan,
1.Are you saying that you can only see the Index (List) on the LHS and not the Card on the right hand side? Are the windows there?

2.Have you updated your Graphics card drivers recently or changed your screen resolution? It sounds like some sort of display problem rather than a corrupt Cardfile.
Especially if the display flickers showing the Card details for a moment.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear Ryan,
Starfish used to recommend that SK95/Sk2.0 users upgraded to SK98 so see:
faq807-3643
If all else fails, you could temporarily upgrade, it is not a one way street, you can return to SK95 (definitely with the Cardfiles anyway and I believe with the Calendar too) when you have the problem sorted.
The 2 versions, by default, install into different directories and do not interfere with each other.

Regards Jim

Thanks again Jim,

1. Yes i can only see the Index (List) on the LHS and not the Card on the right hand side. the windows are there.

2. no updated to graphics card or drivers were made.

3 i also have two other card files that still work fine, its just this one that went bonkers.

Regards
Ryan

Dear Ryan,
Oh sugar! Here was me thinking it would be reasonably easy!
If it is not Top Secret send me a copy and I will check and fix it with a Hex Editor.
Or check it yourself if you want with the following program (But do it on a copy of the original) it would allow you to rebuild it if it is corrupted:

If you choose to send it, 'comment' on a FAQ that I have written and you will get my email address and I will get yours, see the FAQ area of this forum.

Regards Jim

thanks Jim,
i will try that and get back to you.
Ryan

See also the following program
CDBFDBFViewerandEditor
that might help even more (though I have never used it myself)
It is available at:

Regards Jim

Dear Ryantt,
and anyone else having similar problems,
See the following thread for the answer to a similar problem by clicking on the link:

Thread807-720094

Regards Jim

I am running Sidekick 95, cardfile only, using a Dell Inspiron 8200 XP Pro. Problem is: When accessing Sidekick a window pops up, saying Sidekick has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this error message to disappear? Would it help to upgrade to Sidekick 98?

Geonit

Dear geonit,
First I have heard of that message, could you please send me a screen shot of the error message (first reduce the size and number of colours so that I don't spend ages downloading it).

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back