Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 95,98,99 and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Am I correct that SD95 won't install or run on WinXP? That SD98 runs on XP but doesn't forward ToDos and Calls? That SD99 installs and runs on WinXP but may not forward ToDos or Calls? Then what is the closest PIM workalike to replace SD that does run and can you import old SD data. According to advertisement OKNA Desktop Set imports SD data but appears to be a much more complex PIM than SD.

I am told SD99 runs under XP with no problems and ToDos and Calls are carried forward. So I can upgrade to SD99 and install XP and no problems? What about SD98 and XP?

Dear Tomas95,
I was waiting for someone else to answer this who has SDK98 and WinXP but as they haven't here I go:
There are some issues as regards installing SDK98. To find out what they are, use the Advanced search option above and enter Sidekick and WinXP and you should find the relevant information.
Regards Jim

I, too, was waiting for someone else to answer this. However, I could not wait any longer and have Sidekick 98 installed on two machines running XP and I have had no issues whatsoever. ToDo's and Calls are forwarded just as they were on Win98.

BTW, thanks to James33 for your vigilant assistance to all of us Sidekick 98 junkies.

Dear JackPort,

It's a pleasure, well more like a labour of 'lurv...'
I guess because I'm a total Sidekick junkie.
Good luck and thanks for posting the answer, we are all now a little wiser.

Regards Jim

I have now installed and run both Sidekick 98 and Sidekick 99, separately, on Windows XP Home and they run with no problems.

I tried Sidekick 95 but would not install so I had to copy an installed folder from a Windows 98 machine. After selecting location for data I got it to run but could not use world calendar. And it will not carry forward items. I suspect the only way to run SK95 on WinXP would be to set up a dual boot but you would want to do with Windows 95. In Windows98 Sidekick 95 has an idiosyncrasy of creating temp files in installation folder every time you use.

I would recommend those with Sidekick95 who are or want to run WindowsXP install SIDEKICK 98. It has same features of Sidekick95. You could run Sidekick 99 but it is a slim downed version of 98. For instance you can only create reoccurring files in the Appointments. I use reoccurring files in Calls and ToDos which SK98 will do as well as Appointments. Starfish has an FTP where you can download SK98 free but not SK99. Also download the patch for SK98 and the manual.

Adios

Hallelujah! Thanks to Tek-Tips, james33 & tomas95, I now have Sidekick98 up and running with WindowsXP! I was so depressed about losing SK95 when my new laptop came with XP that I considered switching back to whatever Windows would let me run the program that organizes/saves my life. I kept trying to force myself to use Outlook, but why would anyone ever want to cross something off their ToDo/Task list only to have it carried forward forever as something you don't need to do anymore (if you know what I mean!)?

Also thanks to Starfish . . . for while they may have discontinued Sidekick, they still post useful information on their tech support site as well as the ftp site where I was able to download SK98 (a perfectly acceptable alternative to SK95) and the patch that together made me a happy camper.

I have't thought of myself as terribly computer literate since I left DOS behind . . . now I'm feeling rather smug about my growing abilities. Now that we got that SK-thing licked, I'm starting to reflect longingly back on WordStar . . . Help me . . . I've got to stop thinking like this!

I never new about Tek-Tips until my search engine brought it up yesterday . . . what a lifesaver you are (all of you who contribute). Thank you VERY much!

Don

I am encountering the same problem as others when trying to install SK95 on a WinXP machine? I couldn't find the ftp site on the Starfish Software site. Can someone reply with the url or a link?

Thank You!

andi

What you're looking for is in the Starfish Software's Discontined Products Support area, where they have a Q&A section kind of like Tek-Tips. All the links you need are under a Sidekick 98 "product search" and within the answer related to an error message "Invalid file to complete this action! mast:wk". The actual address to this spot within Starfish is:

Cut and paste the continuous address above and it should get you where you want to go.

Within this Q&A are links to download Sidekick 98, an important patch file, and the entire SK98 User's Guide . . . along with instructions on how to pull it off.

Don

Andi1956,

Here is a shorter route to SK98 download site I believe. "ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/skw98sea.exe".

DAYoder, thank you! tomas95, unfortunatley the link didn't work, but thanks for trying to help!

andi1956

andi1956

I just tried the address and the first time I entered "ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/skw98sea.exe" I got 'page cannot be displayed'. I closed that screen then rehit ENTER a second time, had to edit URL in address as some characters got added, and this time it offered to download 'skw98sea.exe'. It may be a little flaky since it is an FTP but I got it to work.

Tomas95

Dear Tomas,

Do you mind if I quote this post in its entirety on the FAQ page related to the download?
That is faq807-1313
I will credit you with the solution obviously.

Regards Jim

If you download SK98 at "ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/skw98sea.exe" you will also want patch for SK98 at "ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe"

Tomas95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back