Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 2.0 by Starfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary046

Technical User
May 31, 2013
US
I was wrong, I have Sidekick 2.0. Copyright 1995 by Starfish. What do i have to do to be able to load this on my work computer. It has windows XP Pro. I am in a quandry. HELP! HELP! HELP!

Hi, I'm not sure what you have. If it is a floppy disk the problem today with that is being able to load it as the slot is no longer included with modern machines- I have a USB external which works only with Windows XP. So on the basis that you have something like that you just load the disk and follow the screen. (A CD would be no problem).

The files need to be in C\SKW2 and sidekick.ini must be in C\WINDOWS\sidekick.ini
If the problem is that you get a message saying you need to format the disk I'd say you've had it but Windows XP should easily take Sidekick 2.

Should be no problem at all. I have been running Sidekick 2.0 for quite some time now with XP Pro. The only problems I have encountered is Sidekick sometimes taking a long time to load (or sometimes not load) but I solved that by ticking "Run in separate memory space" under advanced shortcut properties. The other problem I have occasionally had on the latest machine (on the company's network) when running Sidekick is I sometimes get the "win16 subsystem has insufficient resources" which has something to do with the number of handles XP allows. I am not a techie so I don't fully understand this but there are workarounds and fixes for that issue if you google around. The worst scenario is that you have to reboot the machine to flush everything.

What I fear is my machine is one of the only few in the company still running XP and the IT folks are aiming to upgrade to Win7. Still I believe that 2.0 may still be able to run under Win7.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back