Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SID conflict during creation of trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmodesitt

MIS
Jul 13, 2000
US
When I try to establish a trust relationship between two domains woned by the same company, I get a SID conflict error.&nbsp;&nbsp;My belief is that the servers were probably both installed from a ghosted copy and both servers have the same SID.<br>I also read another article pointing to user name existance from one domain on the trusted domain so we will ensure that domians have only users from the repsective domain listed.&nbsp;&nbsp;But I am afraid it is the SID conflict problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;In one of the domains with sites throughout the country we have about 100 users or more.&nbsp;&nbsp;The other domain is only local and has about 4 servers (including Exchange) what reprocussions do I have if I use a SID renamer...is the ebst way to go about reinstallation???<br><br>Thanks in advance.

In the package &quot;Norton Ghost 6&quot; a nice program called Ghostwalker is included. It changes the SID of the machine and can also change the computername (which is nice when cloning multiple computers at once).<br><br>I think that is the easiest way and I don´t think it would cause any problems (since it has worked for me)<br><br>hope this helps. Does anyone know more specifically what kind of problems multiple SID´s can cause?<br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto:soren.danielsson@liv.se>soren.danielsson@liv.se</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Does this impact the users, since they are created based off of that SID and how does that affect Exchange server?&nbsp;&nbsp;I will go and read up to see if I can answer my own questions as well.

I posted to Symantec's tech support forum on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back