Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SID and Sysprep Confusion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdfi13

MIS
May 24, 2005
US
Currently, our workstation setup looks something like this:
- Image computer with preloaded software
- Rename machine then join to domain manually.

We are not running sysprep or changing the SID.

I was under the impression that the machine SID is changed at the time machine is renamed and joined to the domain. Is this not right or do I need to be running a SID changer before joining it to the domain?

I have not had a issue yet with a workstation on my domain in regards to not changing the SID.

If this is an issue, what can arrise from not changing the SID before joining the domain?

Also, we are not running sysprep because I am unsure what beneifts that will provide. Our hardware is universal and does not fluctuate, so the drive feature of it does not really come into play for us.

Your clarity on SID changing and Sysprep are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Depends on how you are imaging you computers. If you are using RIS then a new sid is generated for you during the installation. If you are using a ghost image (or imaging software), the I would recommend changing the SID with Ghost walk, or whatever tool they are using these days.

Rule of thumb, change the SID....

I have had an issue in the past where WSUS uses the local SID of the machine as part of its identification. I had computers appear on WSUS then when a computer logged on with the same SID it would appear in place of the old one.

There is a registry fix in this case but its easier just to change the SID in the first place rather than manually visiting each machine. Who knows when another app might use the same identification process.

As stated you should change the SID you should also be carefull not to connect to your WSUS server if you have one before creating the image, if you do then all of your stations can end up with the same WSUS id and the server cannot tell them appart.

Just in case you do come accross that issue after ghosting here is where to look for the key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate
"PingID"
"AccountDomainSid"
"SusClientId"

WSUS hold the Computer Client Unique ID (SusClientId) in the tbComputerTarget Table in the SQL Database of the WSUS Server . This is the Unique identifier that the WSUS software uses to Update the Computer list in WSUS if more than one computer has the same unique ID then each time a computer connects to the WSUS Server that Computers information overwrites what the previous computers name and info is.

I will fling ya a star for that info porkchop, nice nugget of knowledge.

RoadKi11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back