Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutting down Option 61c safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnicalTim

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
AU
What is the preferred method of safely shutting down an Opt 61c? In the event that our UPS cannot hold the system up during a power failure, we'd rather shut the switch down safely than have it 'crash'. We don't presently have Meridian Mail powered up but we do have CCR/Max running. I'd need to know if there's any commands to run first and then what order to hit the switches in. Once the power comes up, what order do we turn everything back on?
I've gone through all my NTP's but this information seems to elude me... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Refer to Max Installation document which has mentioned the shutdown procedure for MAX.

Sam

The MAX and CCR should be shut down with the procedure because of the software they are running. The PBX can be just switched off. I'd prefer to shut down the CPUs first. If you have plenty of time you might want to consider performing a data dump but make sure you have enough time to complete. An old copy of the database is much better than a half done data dump. On turn up I would prefer to turn up all the peripheral stuff and then the CPUs but it doesn't matter much if you can get everything turned on within a minute or so. You just want to have everything turned on before the initialization. It takes several minutes for the CPU to power up, test and then Initialize

1. Do back up on load 43
2. Disable all loops that connect to IPE by software
3. Disable all switch En/Dis on the Core
4. Turn off the power suplay.

See to that you have backups from all the systems.
Like op61,ccr,max,mail and so on.
Also check that you have backup tapes inserted att all times and that backups are scheduled automaticaly for both CCR and MAX.

If you have, it's not so important to shut it down.
It turns of when the power goes away and starts when the power comes back.

It is designed to start up correctly after a powerloss.

I would not recommend to turn of ANY powersupplies.
If so, this should be done on the pedestal, not on the IPE cubes. Some powersupplies has got bad powerswitches, and they sometimes brakes when using them after several years.
is so, they can never be switched on again.

If you have a loss of power without shuting down meridian max first, you will lose statistical data for that day.
All other data is already migrated in to the database, and is stored there.
So if is vital to keep statistics even for this day, you have to shut MAX down, wich is done from the maint menu.

I agree with Sennback... I've also seen the problems with Power Supplies and bad switches (but not lately) it would be better to use the circuit breaker switches in the back. Also if you are going to take the time to shut down MAX to save todays statistics, then you must do a backup after the shut down. Then you can perform the power down task that should be on the main menu if MAX is in the shut down mode.

I can't think of the benefit for disabling the loops or core devices. Masamsi, do you have supporting logic?

Thanks for all the info. Is there somewhere I can get the NTP or other document that describes how to shut down MAX/CCR? I have everything else at hand, but nothing on how to work on the MAX/CCR 'back end' - only the guides for using MTE and so on.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back