Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown w/o system losing power

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordoSK

MIS
Jun 8, 2001
US
Wondering if anyone knows of a way to perform a shutdown of windows 2000 on a IBM x330 server that it does not power down the system.

thanks
chris

I am confused... what exactly do you mean? So Windows doesn't automatically shut down the computer? iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Yes it does, but I dont want it to. How do you tell the IBM Server to NOT power off when you issue a shutdown of windows.

hope that's clearer, thanks again

chris

Try turning off power management in the BIOS. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Power management may do it but this is a design function of Windows 2000's ACPI functionality. I think the real question is why would you want to do this?

you just have to turn off the advanced power options in the power options of the control panel.

then the computer should stay on after shutdown
kind regards ______________________________
Mario Taferl
LANe solutions
stripeset@gmx.net

uuh i was wrong
i´m afraid this option is not available on IBM servers.
sorry ______________________________
Mario Taferl
LANe solutions
stripeset@gmx.net

I have looked in the BIOS and on the IBM site, it does not look like there is a way to do this.

I thank everyone for thier input...

chris

But wait a minute, if you issue a shutdown from the IBM Director console then it will shutdown the OS but not the system...tada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back