Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown/stop the listner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbstudent

Programmer
Feb 14, 2006
US

Am going to shutdown my database using th SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE command. How do i shutdown the listener. Thanks

from an operating-system prompt, issue the following command:
Code:
o/s prompt % lsnrctl
lsnrctl> stop
(then to restart the listener)
lsnrctl> start
(to check listener status)
lsnrctl> status
Let us know how all of this works for you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I have shutdown the database and stopped the listener, Checked the status it was down. I went back and started the database, mounted and opened it and queried it. I thought that was not suppose to happen? If i have other databases on the same server are they affected by the listener being stopped?

DB,

You do not need the listener to connect (locally) to databases. The Listener is for remote connections or local connections that use the "...@<tns alias>" method of establishing connections.

If you need to know more on non-listener Oracle connections, please post here (with your specific questions).

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Okay, so how do i stop a listener to a database that am accessing remotely? This is how i connect to it

OS prompt>set oracle_sid=abc
OS prompt>sqlplus /nolog
SQL>connect /as sysdba
SQL>startup

Hi,
You cannot do it that way.The listener is an Operating System program, not part of the Oracle service or Database, so you will need to remotely connect to the server and run the command there..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Each database can also have it's own listener, listening on different ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back