Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown -r -m \\cpuname

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0ldeneye

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
"The network path was not found"

Does anyone know why I would get this error when I try to remotely shutdown a computer in a workgroup?

Everyone's running win98, I'm running XP pro.

Thanks in advance.

Try shutdown /i
This brings up the remote computer dialogue box.

Wow, that's a nice little tool! I'm having one problem though. When I click "Browse..." on the shutdown GUI, it says this:

"The direcotry service is unavailable."

Do I need to be in a domain and have active directory services available, or is there a sevice that needs to be started on my computer? Thanks bcastner.

I'm also experiencing another issue with a different cpu in my workgroup. When I try and do the "Shutdown -r -m \\cpuname" it says access is denied. The cpu is running winxp pro, and there's already a user created on that maching with my logon credentials with admin permissions.

try sending your login credentials with the shutdown command.

not sure of the syntax but type
Code:
shutdown.exe /?

to get the syntax of the porgy....

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
"Isn't it funny how you are perfectly content with being alone until nobody else is?"
--------------------
robert@convertingchaos.com
convertingchaos.com

Shutdown does not support the sending of logon credentials.

indeed.

wierd. musta been confused with one of those other dos networky progs in my head....

sorry about that

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
"Isn't it funny how you are perfectly content with being alone until nobody else is?"
--------------------
robert@convertingchaos.com
convertingchaos.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back