Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown of Servers and workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

leddy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
GB
Evening All

I am after some help and advice
Does anyone have a TechNet note on when a Windows 2000/2003 Server should be shutdown and restarted

We use a secure network without Internet access, so rebooting after a Windows/Microsoft update is not an option

This would also include Windows XP Pro workstations with SP1 or SP2

Hello Leddy, can you please clarify your requirements?
- Servers don't usually need to be shutdown unless there is a particular need to do so (example after applying a hotfix or due to app instability) -- any reason why you want to do this
- Also bare in mind that depending on the complexity of your environment you have to pay attention to what servers are shutdown/brought-up first. Server running netowrk services (DHCP, DNS, WINS) should be brought up before DCs and DCs should be up before app servers
- Workstations on the other hand are another story. In the past I have worked in environments where using LANDESK or SMS we would be able to fire off a remote shutdown of PXE enabled PCs

Hope this helps

I'm with itsp1965. I don't reboot anything unless there is a need. That's usually once a month as part of our routine scheduled maintenance.

Users are advised to shutdown when leaving for the day. Updates are pushed out via WSUS.

And, if you need to reboot things remotely, you can use
shutdown /r /m \\computername

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Many thanks for the replys

I agree with both of you, but when I used NT 4 domains there was a MS TechNet on shuting down Servers and workstations but I cannot find one for Windows 2000/2003 Servers and XP Pro Workstations

This system is running 24/7 Servers and workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back