Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown of hipath 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhiraman

Technical User
Aug 31, 2006
US
Hello all! Since I am sitting here waiting on our Siemens tech to show up to conduct a UNIX recovery. I was wondering if anyone know how to preform a shutdown of the hipath 4000 via expert mode? In assistant I see there is a shutdown, but it is greyed out, just the restart is available.

Also, how do you power the system back up?

The reason I am asking, is because in July we have a power shutdown to change out a UPS system and I don't want to be waiting around for a SIEMENS TECH like I am doing now.

Thanks!

Somebody's going to shoot me for saying this, but this is what I was told by the tech... supposedly the new unixware is resistant to power interruption.

So what I would do is go into expert mode and execute the following commands (syntax may vary slightly because these are the 9006 versions):

exe-updat:bp,all;

exe-updat:a1,all;

if it whines at the syntax then just do exe-updat and answer the questions as they are posed.

The first one writes your memory out to disk "bp" is base processor.

The second one writes the administrative data in memory out to disk "a1" is the admin processor.

Then I would go to the console of your ProCenter server and shut down ProCenter. There is normally a window on the screen that shows all the services that are running - you need to shutdown the services for ProCenter (if they didn't give you a list of them and what order to do it in ASK someone - I know there are specific services to do in order, but haven't done it yet). Then shutdown your ProCenter server. This is probably a good time to do your windows updates before shutting it down.

After those two things are complete I would make sure no one is logged in to your call center (do this off-hours) and then just shut down the power supply to the switch (I don't think there is an off switch, but use them if there are).

When you power it back up make sure the card cabinets are powered up first, and then the brain. After the switch is all the way back up (give it 5 minutes) then power up your ProCenter server.

I have been told you can just dump the power on the switch and the unix will be fine, but I like to write out the memory first so it comes back up in the exact state it was in when you shut it off.

I have also been told that ProCenter is very pissy about the way it is shut down so you don't corrupt the database, so be careful there.....

Hi,
The previous answer is sound up until the point of switching the system off!
It would be far nore advisable to use the folowing AMO.

EXEC-REST:SYSTEM,RELOAD,STD;

This will restart the RMX and the UNIX.

Be patient, these babies take time to load. Even the new ones!!

Good luck

Togtek

After the ex-updats, and the ProCenter stuff, you must deactivate the hard drive using dea-dssm:a1,1, and in one of the following parameters you can shutdown Unix. There is typically a sticker on the cPCI shelf warning that this command must be performed before powering off.

The tech should have said that today's Unix is more stable than it has been previously, especially compared to the Hicom, but Unix should always be shutdown gracefully.

Thanks - I didn't know that. On the older 9006 boxes I always do the updat, then deactivate unix, then shut down the drive before dumping power. When 6.6 came out with unixware 7 they told me to just do the updats and then dump the power. I got that same advice while the 4000 was being installed - it's nice to know that's not the case BEFORE I have to do it :eek:)

DonB: is your tech a Siemens Enterprise tech or a distributor tech? You're scaring me.

Distributor techs. There are a number of different ones depending on which system I'm asking about and who's on vacation, and some of them have changed over the years.

SHOOT!!! Our Siemens tech told me to just power down the switch that holds the cards to the 110 punch down and then just unplug the actual Hi-Path 4000 switch!

WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back