Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutdown Computers Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2003
GB
Hello,

To support our companys "green" initiative.

Is there any way I can distribute a command to all, or a selection of computers on the Win2k3 network to shutdown gracefully at a specified time of the day?

Projected cost saving on electricity is £1,600 per year.

Thanks.

If you really wanted to do this, the easiest way I can think is to configure a scheduled task on each machine to run the SHUTDOWN command with the various switches, and I guess you could script the installation of the task to save having to perform this manually.

You can also use the SHUTDOWN command remotely but you would have to have all of the affected PC names available to you in order to do this.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Shutdown -m \\*computername* is the easiest way to shut down a remote pc. You could schedule them for shutdown at 1 am or whatever

You could pass variables to it from a net view command, but you want to be careful you dont shutdown servers and suchlike.

I would do a "net view >>pcs.txt" from the command line, work your way through the pcs.txt file deleting any machine not to be shut down and then write yourself a lond batch file to run the commands. Update the list with new machines/ machines that were off once a month or whatever.

A bit manual and could easily be more automatic, but safer than fully scripting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back