Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shutdown....cd/rw issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk84

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
I recently did a clean install of WinXP pro on Dell Latitude C600 (I also resized the partions using Partition Magic) and I'm having two problems....

1) Shut Down: any time i try to shutdown the system reboots.

2) CD/RW: (MATSHITA UJDA360) drive will not recognize any media...I've been on the Dell site, but I dont see any drivers out there.

I'd be grateful for some help with this....

- Blackhawk84

1. The first issue is because it is throwing an error, and you have the System properties sheet to restart on errors. Turn this feature off, so a decent blue screen with an error message can be seen. Try Safe Mode, then right-click My Computer, properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery - Settings, and uncheck the box to restart on any errors.

2. For the CD Drive issue: Try the Autofix utility first:

Most of the common reasons are outlined here. If they don't help have a look in the Event Viewer, also switch off Automatic Restart and see if you get any Stop Error message for the cause of this problem.

"Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer (Q311806)"

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

If your problem persists post back with this Stop Error.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back