Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shut down Symposium for WindowsUpdate

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2004
US
Our vendor is telling us that if we did not shut down symposium before a windowsupdate that we will have to reload the system from scratch...

can anyone verify this?

I have applied numerous updates previously and never had a problem - without shutting symposium down.

Think he's talking from the rear end. However,that said, you should never do updates with applications running as they may share dll's. It'smore likely the patch will fail to take than everything crash and burning. As you should reboot after the patches are applied, makes sense to shut down anyway.
Stu..

2 decades from retirement, 2 minutes from a breakdown

that was my thought as well - i just didn't know if there was anything specific i was missing...

i'm getting 'well symposium is just SO CLOSE to the operating system that it has hooks that can be overwritten by updates'

i just don't believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back