Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shut Down Problems with Win XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertycityrules

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
GB
I'm running a Pentium4 2.5GHz, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Home Edition, 64MB GeForce4 MX440 etc. No, I'm not bragging, I really do have a problem.
More often than not, when I try to shut down the computer, it goes through the usual procedure, and just at the point where the computer should switch off, it restarts and goes back to windows

Any Ideas?

XP is restarting all the time without warning:

If you right click my computer and choose properties then choose the advanced tab then click settings under the start up and recovery option you will see a few options there make sure Write a system event to the system log is checked and uncheck the automatically restart .
This might give you an error message that means something, or that you can troubleshoot.

There are also a lot of windows utilities, might try checking the system files for any recent changes/damage to a file...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back