Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shrinking fields on the report

Status
Not open for further replies.

grisho

Technical User
Aug 7, 2000
US
I am new to Access and am designing a report.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have three fields, First Name, MI, Last Name, which are lined up at the top of the report like shown.&nbsp;&nbsp;What I want is for the fields to shrink so it appears like:<br><br>John A Smith<br><br>NOT<br><br>John&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Smith<br><br>I have marked the &quot;can shrink&quot; line in the properties box as YES for the section and each item but they do not shrink.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?<br><br>Thanks

grisha,<br><br>Can Grow/Shrink refer to the <b>VERTICAL</b> )or height), not the Horizontal.&nbsp;&nbsp;The normal way to do what you want is to have ONE text box and fit all three items into it:<br>=Trim([FName]) & Space(1) & Trim([MI]) & Space(1) & Trim)[LName]).<br><br>Also, you need to be careful of the text box name.&nbsp;&nbsp;MS Access would normally provide the text box with a name which is the same as the field name.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you then use the text box to hold a 'constructed' string with the variable, MS WILL be confused and not know which you are refereing to.&nbsp;&nbsp;I usually rename the controls in MS Access to have a prefix for the control type (e.g. txt for text boxes, lbl for lables ...), which takes care of this.<br><br>MichaelRed<br>&quot;There is never enough time to do it right but there is always time to do it over.&quot;

You could also place an unbound text box in your report and type the following into the data section control source:

=[First Name]&&quot; &quot;&[MI]&&quot; &quot;&[Last Name]

Umbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back