Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shrink Database Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilkonitzer

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
US
I am attempting to recover a datbase backup file from a client.

Unfortunately, the size of the transaction log file is more than the space that I have available on my hard-drive. I keep receiving the following error:

MODIFY FILE encountered operating system error 112 (There is not enough space on the disk.) While attempting to expand the physical file.

With it now being after hours and tomorrow being a holiday, I am not able to obtain another backup. I need to find a way if I can work with what I have. Is there a way to somehow shrink a database when all I have is the backup that I cannot restore?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Konitzer
Freisoft

The tr log is needed to complete the recovery after the restore so you won't be able to restore to anything smaller than the backed up files.
You could add another disk and place the tr log on that.
You could also compress the drive or directory - it's not recommended but often does work.

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

well,i dont think so you can do it, if you need some space any way it is holiday in the middle, so just try to compress other files on that disk, so that you can find enough space

Kishore MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back