Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Showing output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamUT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
Im still kind of new to this so this might be a dumb question but is there a way to output something to a dos (console) box when the script is running? the only way i've figured out how to see output is with a msgbox. thanks

What sort of information do you want to output, I have previously sent ouput to a browser so that the script runs without intervention and I can review it at the end, I also use html code in it to set sections to bold to make it stick out like a sore thumb. If this is what you are looking for then I will post the code, I am sure I have posted it previously but happy to do it again.

It is worth mentioning that I tell it what to write out, it does not just send errors etc to the browser, so I suppose I use it in the same way as a msgbox but without the intervention.

Regards
Steve Friday

You may want to run your scripts from the command prompt using cscript:

cscript junk.vbs

In you script you'd use Echo to output text instead of a MsgBox.

What im trying to do is run a script that basically installs apps and removes them. I need a screen to pop up to show the user the current progress of the installing apps so they dont touch their computer. If i pop up a msgbox they have to click ok each time it's annoying i just want to open like a console window or something to show the status. Any suggestions

Well now you are getting into intermediate Windows scripting. This is a big subject, and there are at least 3 ways to go:[ul][li]Using an IE object to display information.
[li]Using a "forms package" built for use with WSH.
[li]HTA scripts instead of WSH scripts.[/ul]
Here's a little bit on the first approach above:
Here's something on the second:
And a bit on the third (scroll down the page to find it):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back