Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Showing data from external sources in Notes view 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

awarberg

Programmer
Jan 31, 2007
DK
Hello

Would it be possible to create a notes view, which, in addition to fields from the database it was installed on, showed information from an external source such as DB2?

The view must be kept private and it is not possible to merge the DB2 data into the notes database (unfortunately).

Do I need to program an agent? Or can I make do with Formula, somehow?

Thank you!

Best regards
Andreas

You might be able to do that with ReplicAction - a few years ago that was the only one that could integrate data into a Notes db from any ODBC source.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to respect both seeing DB2 info in a Notes view and notes merging it with Notes data - but then the word "merge" needs to be correctly defined.

By design, a Notes view can only show data from Notes documents. That does not mean that documents containing DB2 data must also contain Notes data, but it does mean that the DB2 data must be stored in a Notes doc to be displayed.

You don't have to buy a 3rd-party product since you can create a data import link between Notes and an ODBC link with LotusScript programming, and even with Formulas, but only LotusScript will allow you to store it in a Notes document to display it in a view.

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back