Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show which files that have already been backed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
Is there a program that will allow me to see which files I have made a backup of and the ones I have not? I have lots of photos and videos I take with my camera and place them all in one main folder so i can get to them all easily. When it comes to backing them up I can never remember which ones have already been backed up and I don't want to have to burn them all onto a DVD each time.

Hope someone can help

Have a look at "Types of Backup" in the Help and Support program.

Incremental backup.

An incremental backup backs up only those files created or changed since the last normal or incremental backup. It marks files as having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). If you use a combination of normal and incremental backups, you will need to have the last normal backup set as well as all incremental backup sets in order to restore your data.

320820 - How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP Home Edition

The above article will apply to PRO also, the difference being, NtBackup comes already installed and there are no problems with ASR in PRO.

Back when DOS ruled, you could use XCopy to copy all files that had changed and then Attrib to set their aarchive bits off. Any file that subsequantly changed had the archive bit set by Windows and XCopy would copy only those files. A simple batch file did the trick. It would still work, but most people want a slicker solution. I use SecondCopy to manage my backups now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back