Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show status question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasah20

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
US
Keyword search is down right now, so hopefully I'm not asking something often asked.

When I issue a 'SHOW status FROM database LIKE 'table_name' does the update_time only show when the table had records deleted/inserted?

I mean - does it detected when an UPDATE table SET... query is issued? If not, is there anyway to have the tables detect that change?

TIA -
leo

What you're looking for is called a "trigger" -- a user-defined action that the server automatically performs when certain events take place in the database.

MySQL does not support them. The online manual says, "Our aim is to have stored procedures implemented in MySQL Server around version 5.0. We are also looking at triggers."

Maybe there is a workaround. What are you trying to do? Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Nothing crazy. I'm just trying to detect whenever an update is made to the database.

Currently, I show the time the table was last 'updated' on a website. There's a slim chance that the user won't insert/delete any records, but in fact just update existing ones.

I'd like to be able to detect this, and reflect that on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back