Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show & "RUN" XLS file (report "index") on CE9 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMCRYER

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
US
I'm using Crystal Reports 9, Crystal Enterprise Pro 9, and Excel (MS Office 2000)

I've been asked to put together an excel sheet which shows
the following information:

1. Folder structure
2. Report Name, Version#, & Report Description
3. Report "owner", Owner's Title
4. Date of validation, comments (from "owner")

This Excel Sheet is to be pushed out on CE, for viewing
by everyone in the company (and it works, so far so good!!)

However - I need a group of people to be able to update that Excel sheet and have those changes flow thorugh and come in on the CE version (in other words, I want it to go and get the latest version of the Excel sheet whenever it is opened in CE)

I cant seem to make that part work. All I have is VIEW option, and it lets users view, but if they make changes to the Excel sheet, it wont let them save the changes they've made.

I have the "real" excel sheet in a folder that is protected using NT group, and all of the users are able to do what they need to do in there (updated it) BUT -- still cant get the updated version of it to come in on CE!!!

Any ideas?

LMC

LMC

I would be interested in how you were able to export the info that you list into an excel spread sheet?

I didnt export it, I literally typed it into Excel.
=(

LMC

How are you distributing a manually-prepared Excel spreadsheet through CE9?

Not very well! I can get it in by using "New Excel" -- but
if you change the Excel sheet, the change doesnt carry over into CE (because you're changing it somewhere else, not on the CE server)....

I resolved this the hard way, I suppose, but it works!

I created a little Crystal report, with a text box (and a picture on top of it, like a button) and made it a hyperlink to the Excel sheet.

NOw, the users click the button on their Crystal rpeort, and viola, they get updated Excel info. The key here for me was making sure that I had rights set correctly so that only appropriate users can MODIFY the Excel sheet (at its source location).

I am pretty sure this is NOT how it is supposed to work, but what the heck - it does what I need it to do, for now!

LMC

LMC

It sounds like as reasonable a way as any. I'm still not sure how you were distributing a spreadsheet in CE 9. Where do you find "New Excel"? (Maybe I'm dense.)

When you go to add a new report, theres an option (a button) that says "New Excel" thats by the "New Report" button...

LMC

When you go to add a new report Go where? The CMC? There is a button there, on the Objects page, that says New Report... but nothing that says New Excel. Is this an available add-on?

I have a button to the left of my New Report button that is called "New Excel". Our CE was set up for us, we didnt do it ourselves. I am unusre if it was part of the "real deal" or an add-on. I will shoot an email to our DMG contact and post whatever I find.

LMC

LMC

Hi,
To the Left, where? EPortfolio, CMC, a custom page???

[profile]

This sounds like an 3rd party widget (probably APOS). CE9 framework was always able to manage Excel spreadsheets, the functionality just never made it into the UI [sad]

Kingfisher [CECP]

It is in my CMC and it is not customized (as far as I know!)
Maybe I am just bonker. We did have DMG come in and do our install, but thats about it!?

LMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back