Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show query results in text field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman2869

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
US
I have a form with a combo box and a text field, after the user makes a selection in the combo box, I would like to have the text box show the results from a query I made that runs off of the combo box selection. Is this possible at all?

Yes,

I don't know how you've created the query but the following should work, either as an AfterUpdate event or on a button click

Set MyRst = MyDb.OpenRecordset("SQLQueryName", dbOpenDynaset)
MyRst.MoveFirst
Me!TextBoxName = MyRst!SourceFieldName
MyRst.close
Sandy

Sandy,
Thanks for your reply, however, I am getting an error after cut/pasting your code. It gives me a "variable not defined" error. I am hoping that you might be able to help explain this for me.
I created the query using SQL, it works fine when I run it seperately, but for some reason I cannot get the text box to show the result of the query.

Sandman
sorry the full listing (which you may need to enhance) is:

Dim MyDb As Database, MyRst As Recordset, SQL As String
Set MyDb = CurrentDb
SQL = "Select ..... where ..... '" & Me!ComboName & "';"
Set MyRst = MyDb.OpenRecordset(SQL, dbOpenDynaset)
MyRst.MoveFirst
Me!TextBoxName = MyRst!SourceFieldName
MyRst.close

If your search field is Text (not Numeric) then you need the ' if it is numeric then you don't. Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back