Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show only one custom progress meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkg

Technical User
May 20, 2000
BE
Hi all,<br><br>Does anyone know how I can keep the progress meter from changing when I've given it some specific value?<br><br>I made for instance a procedure from which I show the progress in the progress meter. This procedure also runs queries which also display a progress meter. So now I get a kind of disco effect where the progress meter constantly switches between the one I set for my procedure and the ones that come from the queries which are run in the procedure...<br><br>Thanks in advance!<br><br>Greetings,<br><br>Dirk<br><br><A HREF="mailto:dirk.news@yucom.be">dirk.news@yucom.be</A><br><br>

Interesting. I am trying to use a custom OCX progress meter. I can get it to execute, fill up, do what it's supposed to do but I can't get it to run while I'm running an ODBC query. That's the purpose for a progress meter, to show the user I'm active when nothing else appears to be happening on the screen, but everything executes single file.(I using a For, next construct to run it. and have worked out the min/max to approximate the elapsed query run time) Now, I just doubled the overall elapsed time rather than providing info to the operator as intended.

dirkg,

You cannot stop the system form using the system progress meter. You can, in several ways, &quot;roll your own&quot; progress meter. When I use the system progress meter, I add the caption - to let the user know what I'm running.

Mostly, I do the various queries via code, so the system doesn't really interrupt me as much as you are suggesting. For long processes (e.g. multiple queries) I just do them in a loop, using the count of the number of &quot;evoloutions&quot; as the progress target, and the completions as the &quot;progress&quot;. Its just as easy to 'roll your own&quot;, but since the purpose (of the progress indicator) is just to keep the user happy, the 'disco' should be at least as effective as the &quot;plodding mule&quot;, so why not let it 'do it's thing'?

MichaelRed
There is never enough time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back