Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show me the DTS Package Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrv6

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
US
Is there a utility or other method to genereate script for a DTS package? I have several DTS packages that I would like to be able to generate and print script for. Many of my DTS packages contain multiple indiviual transformations using activex / vbscript. I want to be able to verify my transformations by generating and print these DTS packages as code.

Thanks

If you're using SQL Server 2000 then you have a "Save as..." option that will allow you to save your code to a Visual Basic .bas file

If you are using SQL Server 7.0, there is a utility provided on the SQL Server CD itself. (I am uncertain if this utility is installed/copied to your system during client tools installation but its definitely on the CD itself.) Do a search on the CD for ScriptPkg.exe - it should be a self-extracting zip file. Running a DTS package through this little VB app will create a notepad document that is the DTS package itself scripted out in VB code. (Im pretty certain it is ScriptPkg.exe but also try searching for anything with Pkg - that part I am certain about!)

There are notes included with this zipped file that will help guide you along. Its not 100% but pretty close to it and is now implemented in SQL Server 2000. The known bugs are reported in little Readme.txt files. For instance, the scriptPkg.vbp creates one gigantic routine. VB has a limitation in the amount of lines a module can hold. So if your package is rather lenghty - you have to spend the time to split up the code into distinct modules.

Good luck and I hope this helps or what you are looking for.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back