Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show/Hide tables on a SharePoint page

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthNone

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
How can I make a SharePoint page load with a certain table hidden and show that table when the user clicks on a button. I'm a newby to SharePoint and am having trouble finding "cookbook" type help for such issues.
Assistance gratefully received!
NorthNone

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." --- Arthur Schopenhauer

Do you want to write to the tables or is this a report type of operation?

You can build a SQL Report off the SharePoint data and that has Show hide. Otherwise you could send data from one web part to another and have it filter the data to show only the information that you want.

There are alot of options so it really depends on the type of data that you have, how its stored and how you want ot access it.

Patrick

Thanks for taking time to respond, Patrick!
I want to display summary information in various categories about a person on a webpage and let the user click a button to show the detail behind the summary information. I'm not writing to tables or the like.
I was thinking to create a mega page with all the summary dollars with the detail dollars beneath each category. The page would load without showing any detail dollars. Then if the user wanted to see the detail, they'd click a button and the page would expand that section to show the details behind the summary dollars.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." --- Arthur Schopenhauer

There are a couple things that come to mind. You can use Excel Services if the information is in that format (or can be managed in Excel). This can give a robust ability for Users -- they can use tabs of the workbook, do caluclations, etc. (whatever permissions you grant).

You can also do what you're looking for with the Web Page Viewer web part and building out a page(s) that have your data/data query. Use the WPV web part to view that/those pages. It basically acts as an iFrame.

Richard: I am trying to get a view-only Access database to SharePoint in a way that Access is completely abandoned. So I've brought in the tables as lists. The top level list drives whose data is displayed in the mid-level list and the detail-level list. Top, mid and detail level lists are displayed in separate web parts. What I need is a way to have the page load with the detail level web part hidden with a button for the user to click on to show/hide the detail level web part.
Thanks for your time.
NorthNone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back