Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show Group info even when details missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikePork

Programmer
Aug 13, 2004
CA
hey,

I am using the CR built into VS2003. (plz keep reading)

I'm creating a report that reports off 2 tables with with a many to one relationship between the tables. I am selecting data out of these 2 tables separately and linking them using the Visual Linking expert.

Table 1

Table2
Managers
Table1ID

I'm trying to structure my reports as follows:

Group 1 Header
TAble1.Location
Details
Table2.Managers

Now is there any way that I can make the group header 1 show up if there is no details line, IE I want all Table1 records to show up even if there is no record in Table 2 with a TAble1ID that matches the ID of the Table1 record. I can't put these 2 tables together with a JOIN. I'm considering creating blank table2 records for each Table1 record that does not already have a record in Table2 pointing to it, but this is dumb :).

Any better ideas, or is there some option I am missing?

Why can't you join the tables?

A left outer join will do precisely what you're asking for.

-k

You say you are linking the tables--this means you are joining them. In the visual linking expert, after creating the join, select the line that is joining them->link options, and choose left outer join, as SV suggested. This should be a left outer join FROM Table1 TO Table2.

-LB

Thx guys. I understand what that visual linking expert does now, and it's working perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back